Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—NO SPOILERS OR YOU DIE!

Discussion of fine arts and literature.

How excited are YOU?

32%
No votes
16%
11%
5%
11%
No votes
5%
5%
16%

Total votes: 19

Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—NO SPOILERS OR YOU DIE!

Post by Crucifer »

I'm astounded that this hasn't appeared yet.
HP 7!!!
Are YOU excited?
Last edited by Crucifer on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Excited (because I find the books very entertaining and hope this one will be no different) and also a bit worried—hoping that Rowling's ending will not disappoint.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Mildly curious is more precise. I've enjoyed the story, but more on the level of "What will the author do next?" than "OMG, OMG, the character is in trouble." But then I've been in a sort of damped emotional state, so it may have nothing to do with the actual book.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Mildly curious is right... I enjoyed the first four, then got heavily involved in Tolkien and found fifth boring. Refused to buy the sixth, just borrowed and read it (which is very shocking for me).
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Curious but not excited. As the next installments of the series became increasingly bloated and badly edited ( the later in my opinion at least :P ) my interest waned too. Plus, that loooonnng pause before 4 finally came out ( or was it 5? ) was also hard on the ol' excitement levels :blackeye:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's the sagging middle, the plague of all novelists, but played out over a series. My hope is that the fumbles in some of the later books are sagging-middle symptoms, where you struggle with making your exciting and promising beginning match up with your long-planned killer ending in a way that allows your characters to still be your characters and dodges deus ex machina.

Deathly Hallows, I hope, will be the long-planned killer ending.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Then what would No.8 be?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The cynical cash-in.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

8 won't happen by Rowlings hand she said that it will not with her consent exist, which makes me think that Harry will cop it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Primula Baggins wrote:The cynical cash-in.
:rofl:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
TheWagner

Post by TheWagner »

Griffon64 wrote:Curious but not excited. As the next installments of the series became increasingly bloated and badly edited ( the later in my opinion at least :P ) my interest waned too. Plus, that loooonnng pause before 4 finally came out ( or was it 5? ) was also hard on the ol' excitement levels :blackeye:
It was 5 (Order). And, yes, that was a very poorly edited book: whole chapters could be deleted. The movie actually will be the shortest to date, but, then, this story has less substance than do Prisoner or Goblet. (The first two movies were long simply because Columbus is an awful film maker.)

For anyone interested, a group of us put together a survey asking how people think Rowling will resolve 101 "Important" Questions remaining in the series. We'd be quite happy to get your responses! (Given other news sites, Tolkien fans and Rowling fans answer fairly differently on many questions.)
Shown the gun? Then shoot it! But remember that one shot has many effects.....
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I'm excited, though not in a "get in line at midnight" kind of way. I love the goofy "Snape: friend or foe" posters they have up at Borders right now; I love contemplating who will be snuffed in the book.

Since Griff has said she is only curious, this means that when we buy our copy I get to read it first! w00t!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

We'll be in line at Borders at midnight—we have our copy preordered. Myself and at least two of the kids are going to risk it. :P It's the same vibe we get from going to blockbuster movies on opening night. If you like it, it's worth the trouble, and we do.

We'll be at the Harry Potter movie on opening night as well, which is what my daughter wants to do for her 14th birthday party. So it will be a Potter-filled July.

(I haven't been following the sneak preview reports. Is the word good on the new film?)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Eventually I will have to read the books to my son, and I guess I'll have to get excited then. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I get to be fourth. :roll: Fortunately the kids all read fast.
TheWagner

Post by TheWagner »

Primula Baggins wrote:I get to be fourth. :roll: Fortunately the kids all read fast.
Yet another advantage of not having children! (By my score, #29746: but I quit counting for a few years back in the 80's, so I might have missed a couple...... 8)) Indeed, my wife and I buy our own copies. The few people I know with a second child buy a copy for both of the F1s. It's one of those Mastercard: "peace and quiet: Priceless" things.

(For us, well, "wouldn't share Harry Potter" would be embarrassing grounds for divorce!)
Shown the gun? Then shoot it! But remember that one shot has many effects.....
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

Crucifier, do I know you by another name? ;)

I can't wait. That's it.

Following this from the movies first and now having read the books so far, I can't wait.

Yeah.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I am tremendously excited. Son and I will steal book back and forth, but I predict that I'll finish first. :D
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Crucifier, do I know you by another name?
Unless you know me by my real name, which you may or may not. Also, as I already pointed out, it's crucifer as in cross bearer as opposed to crucifier as in killer.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Like Lucifer, light-bearer :)

My family did not start on Harry Potter until the third movie came out. So, we read the first 5 books by getting them from libraries, and reading them in turns. Well, I did buy GoF at an airport, but other than that...

When the 6th book came out a year later, we again shared one copy. It was my brother's birthday, so he got first dibs, but whenever he wasn't reading it, my other brother and I could. So, youngest brother read it in a day, and birthday boy and I passed it back and forth for a week.

This meant that I got to the page where Dumbledore tells Harry to fetch his Invisibility Cloak, and my brother knocked on my door and said, "Can I read it now?" I was half-tempted to deny him, but I gave him the book, and went to sleep (where I had one strange dream), and then when I awoke, I snuck into his room, took the book, and went downstairs and finished it.

That was a lot of fun :)

This time, it will again be his birthday, so I'm not sure what we'll do. I know he'll get the book right away, and he and his girlfriend will read it. I'll probably try to read his copy after he's finished. I just don't see the need to have multiple copies in the house, and I know the HP books are cheap at used book sales. My friend gave us 2, 3 and 4 that way. (We don't own 1 or 5).