A Bangladeshi Photographer

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

A Bangladeshi Photographer

Post by truehobbit »

I've just seen a report about Bangladeshi photographer G.M.B Akash on TV, and got curious about his work, so I googled his name and found his website with loads of pics in the gallery - thought I'd share.

http://www.gmb-akash.com/main.html

Having won several awards for his work worldwide, he apparently isn't very popular in his native Bangladesh, for his dealing with taboo topics, and he is currently living in Hamburg because a photo-report he published about a Koran school resulted in death-threats against him.

I think his photos are awesome. While usually showing up some social problem or injustice, like poverty and child labour, many of them are nevertheless simply beautiful.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Thanks for sharing this, Monika :D
His work is impressive, simple but full of emotion :)
Am min idhrinn, min arad en-Naur, bain onen aen: noss, nîth ah estel: adaneth im.
"For one year, one day, of the Flame I would have given all: kin, youth, and hope itself: adaneth I am."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I looked at several of the little galleries. They are beautiful but also thought-provoking photos. Thanks for posting the link, hobby!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King