Some artwork - feedback appreciated

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Trazúviel, thanks a mill :D

Voronwë, thanks for the links, I've had a quick look and I must congratulate you for the effort and time invested :) I look forward to reading your work thoroughly :)
Am min idhrinn, min arad en-Naur, bain onen aen: noss, nîth ah estel: adaneth im.
"For one year, one day, of the Flame I would have given all: kin, youth, and hope itself: adaneth I am."
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Breogán, may I ask you to submit the portraits of Fëanor and Fingon, and "In Safe Arms" to CoE as well? The calligraphy pages would be nice, too.

I also like your Star Wars artwork very much. :)
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, Breogán. I hope you get that opportunity, some day.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Rowanberry, thanks :)
I will submit them later on or tomorrow :)

Voronwë, rest assured that people at the HoF will be among the first to know if I ever make it :)
(And thanks for returning the flask, it's the only one I have ;))
Am min idhrinn, min arad en-Naur, bain onen aen: noss, nîth ah estel: adaneth im.
"For one year, one day, of the Flame I would have given all: kin, youth, and hope itself: adaneth I am."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Breogan, I'm no good at giving feedback on artwork because I don't know what goes into it, but your gallery looks completely professional to me.

I guess it's a highly competitive field - ads and illustrations and such - and I would really encourage you to keep shopping your work around. As I am telling all the other talented and worthy people in this forum :P it's a numbers game.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Thanks Jny :hug:
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

My favourite author, Janny Wurts, is also a very talented artist, one of the few who lillustrates her own work. She started out by going around to art shows at conventions, and noticing what people were doing, and what sort of artwork took home the prizes. She worked hard to devleop her own technique, and has been very successful. She, too, has noticed that it's not necessarily the most talented artists that succeed, but those that keep plugging away at it, day after day.

I used to do pencil sketches in High School of my favourite actors and rock stars. I was amazed to see some of Janny's sketches from the same period. She put them up...VERY BRIEFLY...on her website, as they were so bad they were embarrassing! It made me think I never should have given up sketching, because mine were better, MUCH better.

Anyway, this is supposed to be about Bre's work...

I also wondered if some of the pictures were photo manipulations. There definitely is a photographic quality realness to them that is very impressive. I've been told portraiture is the most difficult medium to do successfully, and you do it extremely well.

Who is that elf holding Hobby in his arms, BTW?? :love:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Thanks for the information Sunsilver :D

I guess you mean the Knight of Dol Amroth, right? ;)
I just thought she was going to be loneny and she needed some dashing knight to keep her company ;)

I think one of the reasons why some of the paintings look quite real is because i keep smoothing the layers of colour, I paint and multiply the layers and smooth them and start again, "polishing" them. That makes them really thin and creates a very realistic effect on the skin, and the hair. Other people like the opposite, they want the paint dubs to be visible, as in a real painting, using brushes and effects to replicate traditional media such as oils or acrylics. I like that style too, it's like "serious art" compared to what I do, but it does not come natural to me - I cant help but smoothing and polishing :)
Another thing that makes a digital painting look "real" is the textures you use, for let's say, clothes and such. It's quite a bummer to paint "leather" or "velvet", "silk", "wool", "wood", but once you get the hang of it, knowing what kind of brushes to use, what kind of light and layer effects to use, smudges, etc... it pays off all the time you invest in getting it right. The more elements of a painting that look real, the more real the subject will look.
Still, I have many things yet to learn, and to improve. Some of the originals (humongous compared to the files I have uploaded to the gallery) still show the pencil base because defining with highlights is still complicated for me, and since I hate painting hands, I need to stop acting the maggot and start putting more effort on them :P
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

FWIW, I remember reading that a fantasy story (or probably any kind of story) is more likely to be accepted by a magazine if it comes with artwork because it saves the magazine the bother of finding an illustrator. Black Gate, for instance, has a story/artwork format, although it's black and white. It is possible that this also means that an artist is more likely to be published if his artwork comes with someone's story.

Just a thought.

And that little Elf girl in your avatar is just lovely, with those starry eyes and brown locks.
Other people like the opposite, they want the paint dubs to be visible, as in a real painting, using brushes and effects to replicate traditional media such as oils or acrylics. I like that style too, it's like "serious art" compared to what I do, but it does not come natural to me - I cant help but smoothing and polishing
I like that style. It's a new media, I think it's great to see artists explore its possibilities, rather than jut trying to recreate the look of older media.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Frelga, I like that about Bre's art, too - it's as though you can feel the texture of the materials.
Of course, the 'visible brushstroke' technique is only traditional as far back as the 19th century (with a few exceptions earlier on) - from then on it was the way to go, but earlier it would have been the aim of the artist to not have the brushstroke visible.
(And being from 'Old Europe', the 19th century is more like recent history to me - the traditional way, for me, would still be no visible brushstrokes. ;) )
For me, it's basically choose whatever you prefer. :)

What I like very much, too, is that she draws 'real' faces. Many illustrators create a certain style of face that has nothing to do with real human faces, but is recognisable as the artist's style and works for the purpose of illustration (it's interesting, I think, how much book illustration, at least in this country, works that way) - I think the idea is to remove the illustration from reality through a certain level of abstraction. This is often seen as the purpose of an illustration. (For example, compare the cover art for the English and the German versions of Harry Potter!)
Personally, I love realistic illustrations. I love it when they look like drawings, but I prefer people to look like people.
sunny wrote:Who is that elf holding Hobby in his arms, BTW?? :love:
Hehe, he's dashing, isn't he? :D
But I'm afraid he's the product of female imagination, and as such unattainable by real guys. =:)
Frelga wrote:It is possible that this also means that an artist is more likely to be published if his artwork comes with someone's story.
Ooooh, that's a temptation to come up with a good, juicy backstory for the two in my sig... :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I like that style. It's a new media, I think it's great to see artists explore its possibilities, rather than jut trying to recreate the look of older media.
:agree: * 1000
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Now that we're talking brush-strokes and paint dubs, I was not referring to any school in particular or any specific artistic period in time - in a real painting, done with tradional 2D media, if you look very closely you will always see paint dubs/brush strokes - you need to step away to have a proper look at that painting. That's what I dont do, there are digital artists out there (both professional and amateur) who can replicate basically any traditional media with outstanding results. As I've said, I admire this technique, and I would like to learn more about it to be able to use it in a near future, but at the same time I enjoy making things as real as possible when it comes to "illustrate" Middle-eath, The Galaxy, World of Darkness or anything i feel like doing. When I read any story or see a film that truly spurs my fantasy the mental pictures of characters and places and other bits and pieces that I "see" in my mind are so real (that's why I love doing concept art) that my goal is to depict them as real as they are for me.

About the "illustration style" in artwork. Needless to say I have nothing against it, and some of the best illustrators out there - which I admire - have a very specific and personal style that can be recognized almost instantly :)
I tried that years ago, but it just wouldn't work for me. It was not "real enough", my attempts looked too fairy tale-ish, too conventional, the characters were all too similar to each other. So, for some time I tried a little bit of Manga to see if I felt comfy with this style (in case someone remember my "The Two Sisters" sig pic or the one I made for Wilko, my homage to Bilibin whose art I have always admired)... again, it didn't work for me. I kept going back to traditional artistic (and realistic) drawing, and one day I decided to start playing around with digital brushes and colours and layers...and I haven't looked back :D
Still, most people do not react too positively to this "style" of artwork, it's unconventional and does not scream "fantasy" or "fanart", or perhaps they think it's too "modern"... not sure, I just know that those following a more traditional approach to illustration are faring way better than I do.
A "funny thing" happened to me a few weeks ago in reference to a piece of SW artwork I did (I have uploaded to the gallery, "A Moment of Truth") A few weeks beforehand I was told my artwork was boring because it lacked drama and tension and dynamism. After some considering, and being quite frustrated, I started "MoT". Don't know how many hours I invested on getting their expressions right, their body language, making their clothing and all textures look real, the lighting, The lightsabers, the burn marks... all that only to be told that "it was too real", "boring because it's like the films, there's no fantasy"... I thought I had just recreated a dramatic scene that is not on Episode III, only in the novel, when all I had really done was "killing the fantasy"... :scratch:
I give up, that people can just GFT, because if I continue to listen to them they will drive me bonkers. :(
Having said so, I am delighted to see you like this "style" of mine (if it can be called so), and even if you don't, is a great thing anyway to see you have a open mind. Thanks guys!

Frelga, the Knight of Dol Amroth is a product of my imagination... my dirty and prurient imagination :devil:
The little Elf-girl is just a fanfiction character - Glad to know you like it.
And thanks for the information.... now I only need to get myself a writer in need of an illustrator ;)
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

I have uploaded a series of concepts - The Sons of Fëanor - for a computer game.
In case you want to have a look at them :)
Once again, thanks for your support, guys and gals :)
Last edited by Breogán on Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Veeewwwwy nice! :D I like how they all look similar enough to be brothers and different enough to show their different characters.

Not that I remember much of their characters from the books :whistle: - but seeing them has made me curious to go and read about them again. :)

I like Maglor best. :love: So I want to know what he was up to. :D

And Amras and Amrod look like they're up to no good. =:)

I think it's also mighty confusing that none of their names begins with 'F'. :suspicious:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Breogán, those are really great! Definitely consistent with how I imagine each of them, and that is pretty impressive. Can you say any more about the videogame?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Thanks Hobby and Voronwë :hug:
Glad to know that you like my visual conception of the Sons of Fëanor :)

The computer game is one of those known as RTS, that is Real Time Strategy game, although there is also a RP game integrated in the RTS structure.
The game is still in its early development stage, we are currently defining and developing the different "civilizations" the player can choose from in order to conquer and defeat the forces of Light or Darkness, depending on the side players play for.

Thanks again for your feedback and support :)