Some artwork - feedback appreciated

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Oh, I believe she's a fine example, but then I know people who never made it and they truly deserved it... so, I need to be realistic :)
Am min idhrinn, min arad en-Naur, bain onen aen: noss, nîth ah estel: adaneth im.
"For one year, one day, of the Flame I would have given all: kin, youth, and hope itself: adaneth I am."
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

True, too. But I believe that it will happen for you.

For what it is worth. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Thanks, Voronwë :hug:
Am min idhrinn, min arad en-Naur, bain onen aen: noss, nîth ah estel: adaneth im.
"For one year, one day, of the Flame I would have given all: kin, youth, and hope itself: adaneth I am."
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Voronwë wrote:Bre, if you want it enough, you will get it, eventually. Look at Prim's example. She is certainly an inspiration.
V, I agree with all my heart with the second half of your statement above -- Prim IS an inspiration! -- but I have to say I disagree with the first half. When it comes to publishing fiction or being paid for one's artwork, not everyone gets what they want eventually, no matter how hard they may try or how hard they may want it. For every successful Prim, there are probably a great many still-outside-the-dadblasted-magic-circle Teremias!

I say that more cheerfully than it sounds -- just as a fact! :)

Bréogan, I wish you all the luck in the world, and I hope your passion for making beautiful things never fades! :hug:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Bre, I only found out about the Hildebrandt thing because a friend sent me a copy of their latest calendar and it quite unusually shows the reference pics as well. In most cases they were really just lighting studies, but the pose was the same so I suppose that would be classed as reference photos. I agree with you about their ME depictions by the way, but they were responsible for some of the first ever ME artwork I remember seeing commercially.

Are you working on the Total War Complete Conversion or another project? I'd be interested in hearing more about that too if you don't mind sharing?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

You'll make it, Teremia. I've read your work, remember. I feel sure Bre will too.

It's just frustrating that doing fine work is still not enough—that once you're at a professional level, your work still has to get in front of someone who likes the kind of work you do. And then if you cross that hurdle, it has to be someone who not only wants to buy your work, but can buy work like yours right at that moment—she hasn't just bought something very similar, or she isn't leaving Monday morning to work for another company where she can't buy your work (that last thing happened to me a few years ago!).

That's where persistence pays, I think. If the work is good, eventually the stars align.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

My own view on the matter is more like Teremia's, and it's got nothing to do with how much you want something or so, but I'm keeping all my fingers crossed for Bre to go 'pro' successfully. :)

Here's to all of us getting our dreams! :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Indeed! :cheers:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

truehobbit wrote:My own view on the matter is more like Teremia's, and it's got nothing to do with how much you want something or so, but I'm keeping all my fingers crossed for Bre to go 'pro' successfully. :)
I think wanting it and believing are a part of it. Just not enough, sometimes.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Breogán

Post by Breogán »

I do agree with all of you and I need to state how grateful I am for your words. Even as I am taking a realistic approach to this, it is true that your words are soothing and make the weight of frustration feel lighter on my shoulders :) :love:

Teremia, all the luck in the world to you too :)
I will be truly delighted to read, in a near future, that your dream has finally come true. Meanwhile, I am there with you down in the trenches... at least we can keep each other company :)
Btw, I have read Prim writes science-fiction, so, what about you?

Alatar, the game is called The Last Alliance - http://wildfiregames.com/tla/, there you can read about the project itself, and see a little bit of the concept art. Mind you, our public site is not updated, so most of the most interesting stuff takes place behind the curtains - also, we want to keep a low profile for the time being... surely you can guess the reason why ;)
If you have a look at our sister project, 0AD, you will gain a clearer and better idea of the visual conception and the dynamics of the game we are designing. You just need to imagine Noldorin hosts instead of Greek phalanxes ;)
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

But, what if a person does not have access to TORC's gallery?

What about that?
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

It's an honor to be in the trenches with you, Breogán! :D

Sorry to have whined -- you know how it is. :blackeye:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's not whining, Teremia, that's an honest assessment of a stinky situation.
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Amen!
:D

Baby Tuckoo,
I have uploaded a few bits and pieces to HoF gallery, under "Breogán" - you can have a look there :)
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is the link to Bre's album:

http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/modu ... _album.php

Teremia, I know that it is not always enough to do good work, and to believe that it will happen. After all, my own book hasn't been picked up by anyone, despite abundant positive visualization for numerous people here. And I have been pretty pessimistic at times. But you can't give up. You do have to believe that it will happen.

Sometimes, it happens when you least expect it.

Just sayin'.

Cookie? :sunny:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Voronwë, I can only say:
Welcome to the trenches :hug:

Im afraid I have no cookies to offer, but I have a flask of vodka to keep me going... just saying ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Nah, I'm not really in the trenches with you guys. I have no ambition to be a professional writer, just this one silly manuscript that just kind of happened, despite my best intentions (it is a psuedo-scholarly work on the creation of the Silmarillion).

Still, I have gotten a taste of what you artists and writers experience. Each rejection feels like a donkey kick to the gut. In fact, I got another today.

Perhaps you could pass that flask over here? :halo:
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Ok, still... you can visit us in the trenches any time you want ;)
Also, I must add you manuscript sounds really interesting - I would love to know more about it since The Silmarillion is my favourite Tolkien book. Is there a place where I can read more about your work, here, TORC...?

Sorry about this new rejection... Here, have the flask :hug:
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Thanks for the link, Voronwë. :)

Breogán, your art is amazing, especially the one of Hobby! :D I hope you make it to the pros, you deserve it! :hug:
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
Voronwë the Faithful

Breogán wrote:Also, I must add you manuscript sounds really interesting - I would love to know more about it since The Silmarillion is my favourite Tolkien book. Is there a place where I can read more about your work, here, TORC...?
Bre, here is the thread where I went through the original analysis:

The Creation of the Published Silmarillion - Finished!!!!!11

And here is the thread that chronicles my fun adventures in completing the manuscript and trying to get it published (including my wonderful interaction with Christopher Tolkien himself, through the attorneys working for the Tolkien Estate):

Voronwë's "Creation of the Published Sil" Project

The title of the book, by the way, is "Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion". And now that I have thoroughly co-opted your thread, I will back away gracefully (or ponderously, take your pick).

*Oh, here's your flask back* :halo: