A Small Windfall in the Material World

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Primula Baggins wrote:Sometimes when I'm eating alone, such as lunchtime in an empty hourse, I catch myself prowling around for five or ten minutes, hungry, because I can't enjoy my lunch until I've found just the right thing to read with it. :P
Oh! thats exactly what I do!!! AND I have been known to buy books so that I can read while having coffee in some cafe. Several times. :)(This was, of course, before student and expensive-books-in-US days :P)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Sometimes when I'm eating alone, such as lunchtime in an empty hourse, I catch myself prowling around for five or ten minutes, hungry, because I can't enjoy my lunch until I've found just the right thing to read with it. :P
I hope it's not because attention needs to be diverted from your cooking. :P

And I agree with ax's theory about the guy you lived with, Bre. :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

No, hobby, there's nothing wrong with my delicious leftovers! :P Today was slow-cooked lemon pork shoulder with carrots and parsnips and shallots, zapped in a bowl, with a good rousing space opera on the side.

Whoever it was who said you're not poor if you have books—he got it right. That's the best part about accumulating books: you reach the point where you can always find something sensational to read on the train. Or in the tub, or while emptying the dishwasher (I grew up doing that chore one-handed while holding a paperback open in my left hand).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Primula Baggins wrote:(I grew up doing that chore one-handed while holding a paperback open in my left hand).
Me too, Prim. That's where The New Yorker comes in "handy."

Back when I was pretentious, I used to smoke a cigar with one hand and read with the other. Of course, you don't read with your hand. You read with your mind.

I know that.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Primula Baggins wrote:That's the best part about accumulating books: you reach the point where you can always find something sensational to read on the train.
Ah, but as Gwendoline would tell you, you only need your diary for that.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Alatar, you beat me to it! :rofl:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I thought eyes came into it too, bt. somewhere.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Alatar wrote:
Primula Baggins wrote:That's the best part about accumulating books: you reach the point where you can always find something sensational to read on the train.
Ah, but as Gwendoline would tell you, you only need your diary for that.
I just love that line. I always have. I don't know why. :P

"The Importance of Being Earnest" was the only play I've ever seen on Broadway, BTW. Thirty years ago now. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

I've always loved the one about marrying into a carpet bag. I laughed so hard when I first read that... :rofl:

I've seen two versions of it on TV, but I've never found it so funny there as when I just read it.

Somehow, reading plays makes a very strong impression on me, too. Seeing them on stage is powerful, yes, but reading them just means I get to see them in my own production in my mind's eyes and ears - and often, real life productions afterwards have a hard time competing with that. :D