A Small Windfall in the Material World

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Jnyusa

A Small Windfall in the Material World

Post by Jnyusa »

Believe it or not, I'm not sure if this topic belongs in the Library! If it doesn't, my intrepid co-Thain has advance permission to move it. :)

It's generally true of Halofirians, I believe, that we are not predominantly 'material' people. Idea stuff and spiritual stuff is of greater importance to most of us than collecting lots of material stuff. But nearly everyone has some one material thing that they find irresistable. In the presence of that one thing we become moths to the flame, magpies on a chip of tinfoil.

For me, it is books. I love books. Not just the ideas contained in them, though I probably love them first and most for that reason; but I love the physical object for it's own sake, the crinkle of turned pages, the glossiness of dustjackets, the fonts, the layout of the half-titles which can be different with every publisher ... I actually read the copyright page before anything else and revel in the edition I've purchased. To see books standing on my shelf gives me a greater sense of material well-being than anything else. I catalogue every book I buy. I take them down and just hold them in my hand and think how cool it is that ideas can be preserved in such a pleasant material form. I buy tattered books and repair them just for the pleasure of seeing them returned to usefulness.

I have to forbid myself to go into a bookstore until all the bills have been paid for the month because if there is something I've been coveting for awhile I turn into a creature like unto those awful men who would drink their week's wages in the local bar on Friday night while their infant children wanted milk. Put me in a bookstore with money in my pocket (paper or plastic) and my buddha-self gets tied up and gagged and locked in the closet.

Must. Have. Books.

My socks have holes in them but never mind that. Today I found some very choice books. The socks can wait.

The problem with little greeds of this sort is that people can use them to really hurt you. And I've been afflicted, in my lifetime, with people who should have felt otherwise but nevertheless took occasional perverse pleasure in hurting me. This has, on a few occasions, taken the form of destroying my books. Also, my office at school was robbed twice ... it used to be that the school allowed 'book trucks' to buy up books at the end of each term and re-sell them, but the students would break into faculty offices and steal books to resell so we don't allow the 'brown market' any longer, but meanwhile I lost about $3000 worth of books in two break-ins, one of which cost my office mate something like $10,000 in video equipment.

So over the past few years or so I have been attempting to rebuild my library with things that were (a) destroyed by my Mom when she was mad at me (b) destroyed by my ex-husband when he was mad at me (c) stolen by my students. [sigh] Most of what I've been trying to replace was either a first edition and therefore much more expensive now than when I acquired it, or, a text now out of print. The challenge is to (a) find the best deal on a first edition (b) find an acceptable substitute for a text.

Today, I went out to buy Children of Húrin, and landed on a used book windfall so wonderful (in my view at least) that I had to tell someone about it.

[Sidebar] When it comes to sharing things like this with my kids, as opposed to sharing them with the messageboard ... if I go bazookas in a bookstore I try to break this to my children gently, in little chunks ... because THEY KNOW WHAT I AM. Our last discussion about this issue ended with D#1 sneaking into my house while I was out of town and putting a couch in my living room, thereby necessitating the removal of a bookcase and its contents to Somewhere Else. Women my age should have couches in their living rooms and not look like the lobbies of public libraries, says D#1. Per the Austin-like sensibilities of D#1, I am one endpaper away from being a chapter in the life of Calamity Jane.

For the sake of social convention I allow D#1 to select my clothing. But I do not allow her to inspect my sock drawer. [/Sidebar]

So, I headed to Borders because I had a gift card with a bit of money left on it and I thought I'd use it up on Children of Húrin, expecting the book to cost maybe ... $40? But it was only $26 for starters, and Borders had it on sale for 30% off, and they were still well-stocked with first printings of the American edition. So between the discount and the gift card, I got CoH for < $7, tax inclusive
:banana:

Then I trotted myself across the street to a used book store that is ... well, such a mess, so ill-managed, without catalogueing and barely separating fiction from non-fiction or alphabetizing by author ... <coughs and ahems of disapproval> ... usually there are boxes of book just spilling out all over the floor, and I've come across first editions there that were destroyed by mishandling after they had been purchased from estates. Usually the books are overpriced, too, because the man and woman who run the place don't really know their market. BUT .... I trotted over there because the professors at Bryn Mawr college tend to unload their books at this particular shop when they retire and clean out their offices, so every once in a while you hit someone's gem of a clearance sale.

TODAY, I walked in the door, and they had just stacked someone's library of Tolkien-related works.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:horse: :horse: :horse:

For a snivelling $61.00 I got first American editions, hardcover with dust jackets, in mint and near-mint condition:

The Sil
Book of Lost Tales, I and II
Tolkien and The Great War by Garth
Master of Middle Earth by Kocher (the dj on this one is chipped :( )

and a paperback copy of The Lost Road.

There was other stuff but it was either in bad condition or something I already had.

So I left for the bookstore hoping that CoH would be $40 or less, and came home with 6 books that I've been longing for, and I only have to shave ~$28 off the next few grocery bills to come out even. :D

OK, so the green beans are always generic and the socks always have holes in them. But I HAVE BOOKS. :sunny:

The thing that was extra-special cool about this is that there was a set of Lost Tales I and II a few years ago at another used bookstore I frequent, and I passed on it because it had been shelved in direct sunlight and the dj spines were badly faded. I've been sort of kicking myself ever since then because I wondered how long it would be before I found another set, if ever, and the set I found today was not only in much finer condition but $40 cheaper!

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

When the buddha-self comes out of the closet I will have to do a penance because I didn't really need more books. No, precious, not at all. But they are so bee-yoo-tee-ful.

I put this in the Library because it was about books, but if one has other merry greeds for which one routinely apologizes to one's buddha-self, one is invited to confess them here. :P

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:hug:

Wow. What a windfall.

I know exactly what you mean. I am a bit materialistic, anyway - in the sense that if I've bought something I really like, from my travels etc - am VERY possessive about it. If its random stuff, shrug.

However, on books am BAD. I cannot say no to my Dad for anything - but my books - I don't give him my favorite ones cus though he LOVES reading them, he does not respect them. <sigh>. He folds the pages, however much I give him bookmarks and leaves them face down so they never close properly. So *cough*, he doesn't see some. ;) (Even though, since I carry mine everywhere they are not pristine like some others I have seen with folks.)

And right now, I miss my books with an ache in my stomach. I managed to get quite a few from India with me - through family, friends.... but not even half of what I own. I miss them... And I ESPECIALLY miss not being able to buy books the way I would in India. They are cheaper, I was earning FAR more and that meant I could buy books at almost every trip out! I haven't bought a single non-course book ever since I got here. I miss shopping for books.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Jn, congratulations on your find! How marvelous that must feel!

Though It's painful to hear of people hurting you through your poor defenseless books. :(

Oh, man, I miss book shopping, too. When Mr. Prim and I lived in L.A., Before Kids, that was our favorite evening: dinner, a movie, and then hitting all the Westwood bookstores, which stayed open until midnight. We didn't have a lot of money, but we didn't have a lot of responsibilities either, so we usually came home with books.

Now we have kids in college or heading there, and are looking at quite a few years with very little disposable income, and my to-be-read shelf is six feet long anyway. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I could see this thread being in either Bag End or Tol Eressëa (or even the Shibboleth forum, because of its Tolkien content), but on the whole, I think this is the right place.

Far be it for me to question the judgment of my lovely Co-Thainette.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Garth's and Kocher's books, because I haven't read them yet. But I am most interested in hearing your impression of The Children of Húrin.

How often can you find the book that is No. 1 on the NY Times Fiction Bestseller list for $7? For that matter, how often would you even be interested in buying the book that is No. 1 on the NY Times Fiction Bestseller list?

Woohoo! for books of all kinds! They are definitely nourishment for the mind.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

For that matter, how often would you even be interested in buying the book that is No. 1 on the NY Times Fiction Bestseller list?
Just to see this, I just went through all the books which have ever been NY Times No.1 (here: http://www.hawes.com/no1_f_d.htm)

I found the following books which I would love to buy (do own all but two) and have been No.1. Out of, oh I don't know HOW MANY....
  • The Secret of Santa Vittoria by Robert Crichton (Simon & Schuster) - November 20, 1966
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach (MacMillan) - July 2, 1972
    Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkein (Houghton Mifflin) - October 2, 1977
    The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield (Warner) - April 3, 1994
    THE CHILDREN OF HÚRIN, by J. R. R. Tolkien
Seems to be a lot of merit in what V just said. Mind you, there were several GOOD fiction books - Ludlum, Grisham, Potter series, Agatha.
I just would not spend too much money to own them.
dinner, a movie, and then hitting all the Westwood bookstores, which stayed open until midnight.
Sounds like a fun evening! :D

On one particular birthday of mine, a few years ago. R and I took the day off from work, left home around afternoon and spent the next 3-4 hrs bookshop-hopping in bangalore. :love:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Wow, that's an interesting link, Mahima.

I was amazed at how many of the books of the 1970s I had read during the 1970s thinking they were much older than they were.

Also ... did anyone read that list and feel that there are an awful lot of lightweights in recent decade? When I see Herman Wouk giving way to Danielle Steele, I start to think that something is not quite right with our culture.

Jn
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That is an interesting site, Mahima (though, design, ewww). I was struck by how many of those I've never even heard of. Maybe some of them were the Danielle Steels of their day. The 1940s seemed especially thin in terms of books that survived—I've only read four of them and only heard of maybe half a dozen more.

By the 1950s the list starts to get into books I've read—as a young teen I loved me a good multigenerational potboiler with sex, and my friend Ellen and I mined out the library. Some of them were better than potboilers (Herman Wouk for one).

Coming up to the present I lose my grip. I just don't read bestsellers any more, even the ones that are good—they're too expensive to buy and I can't seem to get into the library habit. If I love a book I want to own it. If I take a book out of the library I never seem to finish it in time.

And so many of them appear to be awful.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

*crawls in*

Lovely post, Jn.

I too am sot with hard copy, and it will continue to be an oddity in my life to those of just a few years younger than I. Most everything in my hard copy is available in the E world. I might be the final phalanx of folk who want the book in hand, the text to touch, the page to turn.

I do.

As I've declared, I am not a Tolkien guy. Nor do I care for rarities or editions odd. But here in my main room I have five wood bookshelves, three with only reference volumes. I know them so well that I sometimes can flex a datum quixter than to google't. No one's timed me, but I bet. Whether tor not, I like the journey better, expecially the Bible and the wordish searches. Oh, sure, you can go to the wikkid side, but then you don't really know and you've not touched nothin, so what have you done? Not much, I say. So,

Over in the other room there's two more wood shelves with the stuff that ain't for show: baseball books, sorted compendia, the cat, Harvard Classics (most unopened), a few unthologies, a nostalgic bong, sadly misshaped art books that can't go elsewhere, archaic trilogies, and about fifteen little and big bibles, none capitalized.

*Puts on tweed robe. Litens pipette. Prepares for bed*
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

bt wrote:Harvard Classics (most unopened)
My Dad did not have the opportunity to go to college, and I recall that when I was in High School he would talk about wanting the Harvard Classics because it would be the next best thing to a college classroom. I don't know why he never bought them for himself, but ... although he would always give me a book as a gift on birthdays and such (the gift from Dad was always a book) I think that both my parents generally considered books a waste of money. They would buy those Time-Life Series', you know, and Dad would actually read them, but they were not collectors of books nor great readers. They would never, you know, come home from a shopping trip having bought a book, whereas it is almost impossible for me to go on a shopping trip without coming home with a book.

Many years later, a great uncle who had the green set of the Classsics passed away and his wife gave the set to my Dad. Dad was really touched by this ... but by that point in his life I think he had lost his interest in reading them. As far as I know, he never read any of them. But when I had to sell the house after his death, I brought them home with me, resolving to read them. Once they were unpacked and on a shelf, I realized that I had already read pretty much everything in them, and had done so in High School. I suspect now that High School publishers have used the Classics to develop their curriculum.

I am mildly allergic to those "sets" for great literature that were so popular in the 1950s. My grandparents had bought them great guns, and that was about the only thing my mother did not toss in the trash at one point or another, so I still have them intact here, though not in great condition. They were my 'library' when I was little, and I keep them now as reading copies.
Nor do I care for rarities or editions odd.
I don't care for rarities either; I won't buy a book unless the content also appeals to me. But a few summers ago I decided to hunt for first edition hardcovers in used bookstores rather than buying paperbacks, because it is the smarter thing to do from an investment point of view, if one tends not to toss books in the trash after reading them. A new paperback today costs what? - $13-17? And one can usually pick up a used hardcover of modern fiction for $10. The resale value of the hardcovers does increase with inflation, whereas a paperback once read has a resale value of about ten cents ... unless there is some history behind it, like the Ace copies of LotR.

It irritates me that some publishers bring out only paperback editions. There's one new author that I really, really like - Anne D. LeClaire - and I've tried to get her books in hardcover, but except for one title the species does not exist. Paperbacks just don't age well, and especially the quarto size which seems to be the current alternative to hardcover. The glue gets old and the pages come loose, unless you leave one copy untouched on the shelf and have a second copy for reading.

My daughters are eagerly awaiting the newest HP :D and I told my daughter last night to grab a first printing if possible ... she didn't want to fight the crowds or place an advance order ... because the fact of it is that most people do not take care of their books. By the time her grandkids are wanting to read HP there will no longer be millions of firsts floating around and hers will have increased in value.

Jn
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Jnyusa wrote:
bt wrote:Harvard Classics (most unopened)
My Dad did not have the opportunity to go to college, and I recall that when I was in High School he would talk about wanting the Harvard Classics because it would be the next best thing to a college classroom. I don't know why he never bought them for himself, but ... although he would always give me a book as a gift on birthdays and such (the gift from Dad was always a book) I think that both my parents generally considered books a waste of money. They would buy those Time-Life Series', you know, and Dad would actually read them, but they were not collectors of books nor great readers. They would never, you know, come home from a shopping trip having bought a book, whereas it is almost impossible for me to go on a shopping trip without coming home with a book.

Many years later, a great uncle who had the green set of the Classsics passed away and his wife gave the set to my Dad. Dad was really touched by this ... but by that point in his life I think he had lost his interest in reading them. As far as I know, he never read any of them. But when I had to sell the house after his death, I brought them home with me, resolving to read them. Once they were unpacked and on a shelf, I realized that I had already read pretty much everything in them, and had done so in High School. I suspect now that High School publishers have used the Classics to develop their curriculum.
Some of you have heard this story before, but...

I wouldn’t call myself a collector of books per se, most of what I read I tend to buy in paperback, but I did set out a few years ago to build a bookcase that is rather special. ;) It is a barrister’s bookcase, built in interlocking sections with glass doors, solid walnut and built from scratch, literally, by me. Since I never miss a chance to show it off...

But, the real point of this post is that one of the reasons I built this bookcase was to house a collection of books my father had given me, that in fact his father had given him when he was young. It is none other than the Harvard Classics, the Five Foot Shelf Of Books. It’s missing one volume (the one with Don Quixote, one of my dad’s favorites, so he probably has it lost somewhere in his office), but other than that it is in very good condition. And it looks quite nice in its new home!

And no, I haven’t read them yet. I read the first one, Franklin’s autobiography, but I got distracted by other things and haven’t returned to the rest of them yet. One of these days though.

:)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

How distracted do you have to be to put your Star Wars DVDs beside your Lord of the Rings DVDs?

I'm disappointed in you tinwë...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's a pleasure to see that beautiful bookcase again, tinwë. :love:

I've got a 1958 Encyclopedia Britannica, one of the last editions that was British and scholarly rather than designed to help kids do homework. My parents lent a few hundred dollars to my grandparents in 1955 or so, and in 1958 Mom was pregnant with me, they had moved to Dad's first church, and they wanted a washing machine. So Dad asked his parents for the money back (he knew they'd been setting it aside to repay him) and found out that they'd just usede it to buy these encyclopedias instead. They thought it was a perfectly obvious decision to make.

Mom washed diapers in an old wringer machine for a while.

Most of my grandparents' huge collection of books went to my uncle, who is a bit of what Dorothy Dunnett called a bibliotaphos, a sepulchre of books: he collects them, buying whole sets at a time, but doesn't read most of them. I think he's got three different complete sets of Dickens.

I did get the few books he didn't particularly want, including a bizarrely illustrated Hobbit—and the Britannica.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Re: A Small Windfall in the Material World

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Jnyusa wrote:For a snivelling $61.00 I got first American editions, hardcover with dust jackets, in mint and near-mint condition:

The Sil...
You got all those books PLUS a 1st Edition of The Silmarillion for only $61? :shock:

I have a 1st Edition (US) of The Sil that I received on Christmas 1977. Although the dust jacket is a bit worn on top, the rest of the book is in very fine condition.

I understand your bibliophilia. I think most or all of my brothers and I share this affliction to one degree or another, as does my beloved Goldberry. My dad is the still the reigning and undisputed champion, however.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I love books. But I love space in my house too. Every iteration of the ebook Sony puts out is increasingly tempting, if only so I can devote the nice walnut bookshelves my wife's great grandfather made to stuff that actually needs protection (her dad gave me a copy of a first edition of Tree and Leaf for my birthday last year, for example).
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I use an Ebook now for all my general reading. I keep hardback copies of books I value, but general pulp reading I do on my Ebookwise. Its the environmentally friendly thing to do ;)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Thats a lovely bookcase, tinwë. And the classics look well-housed. :)

Am not a fan of classics at all. I once attempted to read "Thousand leagues under the sea" in original form but never finished it. I own it - we wanted to after visiting France. Kind of like a connection. Most of the classics I have read have been the abridged ones in school.

I agree, Alatar - ebooks protect the environment - to some extent (you could argue about the recyclability of ebook readers etc.) I do seem incapable of reading on screens though. I need to hold a book in my hand, feel its pages, carry it with me to bed and also give my eyes rest from staring at the laptop screen (too much posting on HoF).
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Mahima--

The new ebook readers do not look like monitors--they have been working diligently on the eyestrain issue, and it shows.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

That is quite a lucky find, Jn. A Tolkien collection like that is clearly more important.

tinwë, that is such a beautiful bookcase and it looks even finer with all of those nice, solid books in it. I still can't believe you made it.

I, not suprisingly, have the same problem with books. I've gotten much better about buying them lately, but I still have a few bookcases full at home. They're the hardest thing to pack, too. I always feel like I'll need that one extra book in case I finish the one I'm on, but oh, how can I leave such and such behind? Not even because I feel the need to read them right then, but to have them. To know that if I want to go and read my favourite passage, I can. To thumb through the pages and see the familiar names and lines or even just to see the familiar spine on my desk.

For some reason, one of the manifestations of my love of books is multiple copies. I've got three sets of LOTR (my mother's, falling apart, plus reading copies and the British set and FOTR in Spanish), two of Jonathan Strange, two of Arcadia (because one is signed and I certainly can't cart that around :P ), two of the Silm, etc. You'd think that I'd use that money to buy new books, but no, I buy duplicates. You know what else is wonderful? That crack when you open a book for the first time and you know that you're the very first person ever to open this book. I like the feel of a good solid book. They just feel right. There was one old copy of Marlowe's Faustus that fit so perfectly and naturally in my hand that I was loathe to give it back and would carry it around just because I liked the heft of it, but the library didn't see it quite my way.

Because I am a poor college student who may spend a little too much on theatre, my bibliophilia manifests itself in libraries. I don't take one book out. I take stacks out. If it looks interesting, I take it. Right now I have over 20 volumes about the 19th C. Russian intelligentsia, mostly Herzen and Turgenev. Instead of just taking out the few I need though, I have almost every single non-anthologized work of Turgenev's (including Fathers and Sons in Russian, which I neither read nor speak, but that an accident), various volumes by and about Herzen, etc. I have also been known to take out my university library's entire Tom Stoppard section at one time. Not only do I not need all of these -- I have a week until I go home and two days until this paper is due. There is no time, but still I cannot return them. There's something deeply satisfying about seeing them stacked up on my dresser and radiator and lined up by size on my desk, their red and orange spines accented with shiny lettering contrasting with the greens of Jonathan Strange and American Gods.

And now that I've rhapsodized enough, I should go read them and actually do work.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Mossy, you're a person after my own heart! :love:

tinwë, I adore that bookcase, and most of all because of the glass covers for the shelves. What an excellent way to treat books.

A friend of mine has his bookcases custom-made by another friend who does carpentry, and what he orders is a crate-sized box. Then the boxes are stacked atop one another to make a ceiling-high shelf. That way he can compartmentalize by topic, and it also cuts down on the sag.

I've often thought I would be able to do something like that myself, being not completely inept with hammer and nail and bracket, but I'd very much like to add that special feature of a front cover ... not necessarily glass even ... it could also be mylar sandwiched between two open frames and hinged at the top ....

... an inspiration for this summer's project perhaps. :)

Jn

edit typo
Last edited by Jnyusa on Tue May 01, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Re: A Small Windfall in the Material World

Post by truehobbit »

Wow, congrats on the windfall, Jny! :cheers:

And a great topic! :D

I'm sorry, though, that people let it out on your books when they wanted to hurt you - I don't understand how one could do that. :( :hug:

I actually love simply 'having' a lot of material stuff, though it's never valuable or rare stuff - just stuff I find pretty. :)

But, yes, books are definitely on the 'must have' scale of things (although I don't think I'd cut short the groceries for it. The socks, yes, but I can't resist a good piece of fruit or vegetable, no matter what it costs. ;) )
To see books standing on my shelf gives me a greater sense of material well-being than anything else.
Yes :love: - that and my records/CDs.
I catalogue every book I buy.
Something I often fantasise about doing, but not much chance that I ever will - I've started two or three times, but after half a dozen titles catalogued, I realise it's a lot of bother. :blackeye:
If you come over here for a visit, you're heartily invited to give it a try. :D ;)

I love having books, and only ever use e-texts for reference (i.e. finding quotes quickly ;) ).
I love handling books and, yes, just looking at them on the shelf - makes you feel rich, like you said, Jny. :)

I don't care about what edition I have of something, but I do care a lot that it's a nice edition. I can hardly even bring myself to read a book when it's printed on crappy paper.

In fact, there's one book I've been meaning to read for years now, but I don't because the only edition I've ever seen is on Amazon and it looks too much like some other crappily printed books I got from them. So I'm vaguely hoping to see a nice edition in a bookstore sometime.
Miracles like this one can happen, though. A few years ago I happened to find a children's book I'd been hankering after for years, but never found in bookshops - and then I saw it in a used book store in Oxford. :love:

When I'm in a book shop or browse Amazon, I invariably come out with many more books that I'd meant to buy. And as I don't read all that much, I'd say that on average I read one book in four or five that I buy.
I do try to keep buying to a minimum, for that reason. I've got quite good at reminding myself of the zillions of books I own that are on my 'to read' list and often stop myself from entering a bookshop before I've finished at least whatever I'm currently reading.
But, then, of course, it happens that you need a certain book at a particular time... or you are given a book voucher which it would seem rather ungrateful to leave untouched for months...whether it's time for a shopping spree or not... :blackeye:

A few weeks ago I walked past the university bookshop during opening hours (rare these days - I normally only get there for choir rehearsals in the evenings, but I actually had to go to the Uni library for my job) - there were about a dozen titles I wanted to have immediately (that is, read them immediately, too), classics and the sort of stuff you think you should have read etc, all for reduced prices...
I was rather proud of myself for buying only one book - but I'm still hankering after all those titles I'd seen there for so little money...I would say it almost hurts to think I left them all there... :roll:

There also a bookshop in Cologne that is a public menace to an addicted book-buyer.
It's a reduced price (not used books) store of the biggest dealer in art books in the city.
They have those big volumes on all art forms, but also literature, partly even English texts, either in nice-price editions, or for vastly reduced prices.
They also display the books very visibly round the entrance on a street corner. It's almost impossible to walk past the shop without going in, and equally impossible to go in without taking something out...
The only thing that usually stops me is that, luckily, most of those art-books are too heavy to even carry home. :blackeye:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.