Frazetta LOTR Images and Fantasy art beyond Tolkien

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Frazetta LOTR Images and Fantasy art beyond Tolkien

Post by Alatar »

I just found these while looking for something else. The only Frazetta LotR I had previously seen was the Cover of the Bakshi Movie. These are something else again!

Can't imagine what sort of guy mistook this Éowyn for a fella anyway...

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Re: Frank Frazetta Lord of the Rings Images

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Ah, Frazetta. My dad was a big fan of Frazetta back in the '70s. I recall that he had several posters, a few which he put on the wall in the hallway/dining room/piano room which doubled as his den. My mother didn't like them, of course, but didn't say anything, although I recall her being happy when they were removed from the wall.

This is evidence, by the way, that the Brothers Hildebrandt were not entirely to blame for giving Hobbits oversized feet.
Alatar wrote:Can't imagine what sort of guy mistook this Éowyn for a fella anyway...
I'm sure it was nothing personal. Frazetta drew all his women that way. (And apparently some of his orcs. :shock: )

Thank you for sharing these, Alatar. They bring back a lot of memories of strolling in and out of bookstores on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley during my teen years.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Can't imagine what sort of guy mistook this Éowyn for a fella anyway...
Someone who'd seen a lot of those Orc-buttocks might be a bit confused...

Or just a normal, 20th century visitor to Middle-earth, who knows that, just because it looks like a hot chick, doesn't mean it is one - and if they claim they're not female, it's healthier to believe them anyway.

;) :D

Thanks for sharing them, Alatar, they are cool! :D

Wondering about the first pic a bit - could that be for The Hobbit? And could those be meant to be Dwarves following Gandalf?
(As the Hobbits in the other pics at least look a bit younger than those guys.)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:shock:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

You can't mistake Frazetta. :) Gollum looks too beefy and the overall look is a bit Gothic but there is unmistakeable vigour there. I found the Witch-king and Éowyn picture affecting; Éowyn looks very vulnerable there. It's a shame they didn't have that costume for Miranda Otto. =:)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That Éowyn is one hot mama. And chain-mail thongs are so practical for horseback riding. Right, Anthy?

I like Frazetta a lot, but what he does best is illustrations for sexy stuff (sexy in the pulp sense). I love some of his artwork for Burroughs' Barsoom series, for example; in that case the mightily thewed warriors and curvaceous maidens are described right in the text as wearing a couple of leather straps, if that, and then only so they have something to hang a sword on. That esthetic doesn't work so well for Tolkien.

Well, maybe the Orcs.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

<considers the practicalities of Éowyn's "armour"> :suspicious:

<gives up after envisioning her charging forth on Windfola> :shock:

<is glad her thoughts stopped short of imaging the obvious perils of going to the bathroom> :help:

Maybe it's Frazetta's take on why Éowyn's desire to be a warrior wasn't taken seriously. It's hard to take someone with a bare bum seriously.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

truehobbit wrote:Wondering about the first pic a bit - could that be for The Hobbit? And could those be meant to be Dwarves following Gandalf?
Aye, I believe that is Thorin & Co. trailing behind Gandalf. I guess no one clued Frank into the fact that all dwarves have beards, including the women. :D

The second piece must be three of the four hobbits in the Old Forest.

O Éowyn, shield-maiden fair
With flowing locks of golden hair
Your eyes of blue, your skin so white
Most bootilicious when you fight
The Nazgûl Lord, so fell and grim
Met his match when you vaporized him!
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Mordor has no pants. Mordor needs no pants. =:)

And, obviously, neither does Rohan. :P
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

[snicker!]

[remembers the Pantless thread at TORC....]
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It would very easy, I imagine, for one's pants to fall off in the midst of combat.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Angbasdil
The man, the myth, the monkey.

Post by Angbasdil »

Athrabeth wrote:It's hard to take someone with a bare bum seriously.
Don't I know it!
Mrs. Frodo Baggins
Sidonzo

Post by Mrs. Frodo Baggins »

LOL!! Oh my those are great!! And by great I mean horrible!! The only reason I can think of to explain why there is so much horrible Tolkien artwork out there is that so many people have tried to illustrate it. I suppose a few bad apples in the mix is only to be expected. I mean these people can obviously draw, but they really didn't get the same feel out of Tolkien's work that I did for sure!

By the way that guy seems to enjoy drawing bums (both men's and women's) a little too much! :D

~Sid
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Weird bum shots aside, they're really pretty damn good. The second one has a lot of atmosphere and I love the energy on that Gandalf. And that's a really powerful rendering of Wiki!
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Frazetta kind of created that whole style. And as I said, there are some kinds of books that it's perfect for. Some of them perfectly good books, or at least lots of fun.

Just not, ummmm, Tolkien. Please.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

If he put some clothes on people, I think I'd prefer these to the typical Tolkien art. But then, I think I might be the only Tolkien fan alive who doesn't care for Lee's or Howe's work...
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:shock:

yowiee. good rendering of bums.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Just trying to imagine Merry walking behind Dernhem.

I agree he doesn't capture the feel of Middle-earth but curviness aside there is still a lot of merit in those works. Gandalf has a huge power inside him and the dwarves are far more individual than I have seen elsewhere.
Bilbo's and Éowyn's swords look well considered too.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Since the discussion had moved away from Frank Frazetta and towards discussing favorite Tolkien artists, I moved it to our existing thread on Your Favorite Tolkien Artists
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

In that case, I will repeat my comments, because I thought they were amusing. ;)

Frank Fazetta ... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't like that High Fantasy style for Tolkien, for starters.

Um. Yes. And as for Éowyn's, er, 'outfit' ... :shock: :rotfl:

Perhaps she wore that for Faramir on their wedding night. Don't look at me like that. It could have happened. :suspicious:

Or maybe not. :P

But that is far more bare Orc bum that a girl ever wants to see, thank you very much. :wimper: :D
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal