Have you read...can you recommend...

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Have you read...can you recommend...

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:elengil, no worries.. like I said, I was just trying to further pinpoint what exactly you had in mind, not trying to nit-pick history/religious text. Sort of like Clan of the Cave Bear meets high fantasy. (?)
Sort of. Though I have almost zero memory of that book - there's another one I should re-read - I believe that is more paleolithic in its setting?

I'm not entirely sure what I have in mind which is why I was thinking about it what it would entail. It really was more thinking about how most high fantasy is that medieval setting and wondering what it would look like to take the same kinds of ideas of various peoples and instead of having them sort of fully formed societies that are already either at war or peace with one another, to have the idea of the very first encounter with a goblin not knowing what it is, or the first time seeing an elf... or maybe the first time the elves feel that humans are even worth interacting with.

I could see a world in which Elves, who had powers that Humans do not, could have set themselves up as rulers (whether benevolent or otherwise) and either teach Humanity things like farming and writing, or perhaps deliberately attempt to keep writing from them and use them for their labor.

Perhaps Goblins were those who dwelt underground and some major event brings them into contact with the surface? An earthquake or something?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Clan of the Cave Bear (series) is set in the Paleolithic ice age about 29,950 and 26,950 years BP (before present).
This might be helpful: https://www.diffen.com/difference/Neoli ... aleolithic
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Perhaps more animism, a shamanistic kind of powerful being to replace wizards, a struggle between the 'old ways' and the 'new ways' beginning to take hold, rather than an epic quest it could be about some new knowledge and taking a next great step of "civilization".

I'll ruminate on the idea for a while and see what comes up.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil, I was able to order 'Wise Child' from the library. I'm not very far in but I love the book. I love the way the author writes. As for the plot.. I think I know where it's headed and I'm liking it. ;)
elengil

Post by elengil »

Oh yay! I've got Wise Child and Juniper (the second book but set as a prequal) on order and should be here soon. I'm really looking forward to reading this again because it'll almost be like the first time since I remember so little about it. I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying it, I was afraid the memory of it might not stand up to the passage of time but sounds like it will :)
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I don't think it's still in print, did you find second-hand copies?

I was intrigued as soon as you said you had to have parental permission. :P
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I don't think it's still in print, did you find second-hand copies?

I was intrigued as soon as you said you had to have parental permission. :P
It was on Amazon, but it didn't say it was used... but I'm not sure now. A third book was on there as well but it was upwards of something like $50 or something for a copy.
was a 2020 planner.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Definitely isn't available as an e-book anywhere. I would have snapped it up in that format but too $$$ for me in Oz to get in hard copy.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yeah, I looked for it as an ebook too. No bueno :(
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Yeah, I looked for it as an ebook too. No bueno :(
Ah no wonder my digital libraries don’t have it.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Have you heard of Julian Mays Pliocene Exiles Saga? I read them in my teens and loved them but no idea how they'd hold up now. Kind of a cross between Sci-fi and Fantasy, where the Tautha DeDanaan and Fir Bholg of Irish Myth turn out to be not so much Elves as an Alien race exiled on Pliocene Epoch Earth. The Neanderthals are still barely more than apes and into this mix a group of time travelers from Earths future go on a one way trip to the past, expecting a more simple life but find themselves arriving into essentially an alien civilisation.

Actually, I'll let Wikipedia explain.
The Saga of Pliocene Exile (known as the Saga of the Exiles in some markets) is a narrative surrounding the adventures of a group of late 21st and early 22nd century misfits/outcasts who travel through a one-way time-gate to Earth's Pliocene epoch, in the hopes of finding a simple utopia where they can escape the complexity and politics of the modern post-intervention intergalactic society.

However, the reality the travelers find in Pliocene Europe is far removed from their utopian dreams. The time-travelers of group green arrive to discover the Pliocene is already inhabited by a dimorphic race of aliens ('exotics'), the Tanu and the Firvulag. The exotics, who have fled their home galaxy because of religious persecution, were marooned on Pliocene Earth when their "living" ship crashed on earth.

The Tanu and Firvulag exotics have metapsychic powers and are extremely long-lived. The Tanu use a torc-like device to bring their wide variety of latent metapsychic abilities into a partial operancy, while the Firvulag are naturally operant metapsychics – who have a limited range of abilities compared to the Tanu. The earth was selected as a new home for the exotics because the earth and its primitive Pliocene hominids were the most compatible to the Tanu/Firvulag genetic code. Over time, both the Tanu and Firvulag races have difficulty reproducing on Earth due to the higher levels of terrestrial and solar radiation relative to their homeworld. When the time-traveling humans started to arrive in the Pliocene, the Tanu enslaved many of the humans in an effort to overcome this problem, interbreeding with the humans who have latent metapsychic abilities and soon incorporating humanity into their Pliocene society. The Firvulag exotics are, in the main, more robust than the Tanu and are less affected by the higher levels of radiation on earth. The Firvulag choose to not interbreed with humans and disagree with the Tanu's decision to integrate humans into their society, preferring to preserve the traditions of their homeworld. Some humans escape the Tanu benevolent enslavement and choose to live freely in small hidden villages. They are referred to as 'lowlives' by both exotic races and integrated humanity as well.

Understandably, relationships between all exotics and the few free humans tend to be somewhat strained, although this manifests in different ways, and is complicated further by the exotics' metapsychic powers. Everything starts to come to a head when the members of group green arrive in the Pliocene.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil

Post by elengil »

Impenitent wrote:Definitely isn't available as an e-book anywhere. I would have snapped it up in that format but too $$$ for me in Oz to get in hard copy.

When I finish my re-read, I'll send you mine :)
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wow. That sounds pretty wild Alatar. Interesting though.

There is a series called, 'The Singer of All Songs' (Fantasy) by Kate Constable. I loved the story but it took an unexpected and too sudden (at least to me) toward Sci-fi at the very end that I found disconcerting. Perhaps if I read it again I'd pick up on things I didn't in my earlier reading. It's been a long time since I read it.

I have another series of books 'Books of the Pellinor series' written by Alison Croggon (The first book being called 'The Naming') For the life of me I don't remember it but I bought it in hardcover so I must have liked it. I often first read books from the library and only buy them if I love them/will re-read them or use them as reference.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I don't know if this is safe, but I found it in a downloadable PDF: https://blindhypnosis.com/wise-child-pd ... rlong.html
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Elengil, that is a very generous offer! I will read it and send it back to you - if I fall in love with the book, I'll bite the bullet and buy it in hard copy. I didn't want to spend that much money on spec but will do for a 'keeper'.

Rose, I took the risk - link went nowhere.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Impenitent wrote:Elengil, that is a very generous offer! I will read it and send it back to you - if I fall in love with the book, I'll bite the bullet and buy it in hard copy. I didn't want to spend that much money on spec but will do for a 'keeper'.

It was $14 with free shipping. If you love it, keep it, I'll buy another copy :D
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Impenitent wrote:Elengil, that is a very generous offer! I will read it and send it back to you - if I fall in love with the book, I'll bite the bullet and buy it in hard copy. I didn't want to spend that much money on spec but will do for a 'keeper'.

Hmm. i'll give it a try and see what I can do.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

OK.. I couldn't get the Download link to respond either. Perhaps one has to be a member? Anyway.. I did find a fan reading (actually 2 of them) on YouTube, if you don't mind listening to a non-professionally recorded version. I didn't look to see if she recorded the entire book.

https://youtu.be/Py0QHGLHbL8
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you for making the effort to research this, Rose.

I won't listen to an audio recording though; I don't tolerate book readings well unless the reader (1) matches my interpretation and (2) is a particularly fine reader.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I completely understand. I listened to about one minute and it wasn't for me either.